Fine Arts – Art and Music
The Illinois Learning Standards for Fine Arts were developed using the National Standards for Arts Education. District 103 adheres to the Illinois Learning Standards. Our most important goals throughout the Fine Arts program are to encourage students to reach their potential, gain confidence in their ability, think creatively, develop appreciation for various styles, and develop a positive feeling toward art and music and its integration into daily living.
The Grade Two art curriculum focuses on the following:
- recognize and identify the elements of line, shape (geometric and organic), space, colors (primary and secondary), pattern, and repetition.
- identify mood and emotion expressed in art.
- differentiate between 2D and 3D works of art.
- introduce artistic process of printmaking, weaving and sculpture.
- describe and discuss how art contributes to communication, celebrations, occupations and recreation (advertising, posters, signs, packaging, design, and architecture ).
- create art that conveys a story about people, places and times.
To view the comprehensive Scope and Sequence of the District Art Curriculum, please visit the link below: District Art Curriculum
The Grade Two music curriculum focuses on the following:
- experiment with vocal production to work toward a singing voice
- recognize melody direction: up-down, steps and leaps
- use correct posture and breathing when singing
- recognize different tempi: fast, slow, medium
- aurally identify major and minor
- distinguish between chords and melody through listening and playing
- -identify an introduction in a song
- label sections appropriately: ABA, AB, and Rondo form
- recognize different voice timbres: child, man, woman, individual classmates
- identify an orchestra, a band, or a chorus as a performing group
- identify song moods created through tone color
- compare loud-soft using coordinating symbols; p,f, <,>
- demonstrate how music makes them feel through movement
The comprehensive Scope and Sequence of the District Music Curriculum is currently under review. It will be posted when finalized.