District 103 provides students in Grade Three with a comprehensive Physical Education and Health curriculum. This curriculum reflects developmentally appropriate expectations for students in the areas of physical activity, movement, health-related fitness, sportsmanship and group cooperation in team and group activities. In addition to Physical Education classes, recess is offered to students on a daily basis.
Instruction in building habits for a healthy lifestyle is included in the Physical Education classes and the health classes. These habits for a healthy life style focus on taking care of your body, both physically and emotionally, and on making safe choices in a variety of situations.
The Grade Three Physical Education curriculum is based on the following goals:
- Demonstrate a combination of locomotor , non-locomotor, and manipulative motor patterns
- Identify offensive, defensive, and cooperative strategies in selected activities
- Identify the benefits of maintaining a heart -enhancing level of fitness
- Participate daily in moderate to vigorous physical activity
- Work cooperatively with a partner to reach a shared goal during physical activity
- Use safe practices without reminders during group physical activity