District 103 provides students in Grade Six with a comprehensive Physical Education and Health curriculum. This curriculum reflects developmentally appropriate expectations for students in the areas of physical activity, movement, health-related fitness, sportsmanship and group cooperation in team and group activities. In addition to Physical Education classes, recess is offered to students on a daily basis.
Instruction in building habits for a healthy lifestyle is included in the Physical Education classes and the health classes. These habits for a healthy life style focus on taking care of your body, both physically and emotionally, and on making safe choices in a variety of situations.
The Grade Six Physical Education curriculum is based on the following goals:
- Demonstrate mature patterns of locomotor skills
- Demonstrate skill and execution of movements
- Apply movement concepts to strategy and game situations
- Create open space while using locomotor movements
- Describe how being physically active leads to a healthy body
- Monitor and understand the effects of exercise on the human body
- Work towards a common goal and making responsible decisions
- Demonstrate decision making skills both independently and with others during physical activity