GRADE EIGHT MATHEMATICS - COMMON CORE STANDARDS
In Grade Eight, students take their understanding of unit rates and proportional relationships to a new level, connecting these concepts to points on a line and ultimately using them to solve linear equations that require them to apply algebraic reasoning as well as knowledge of the properties of operations. Students will also expand their understanding of numbers beyond rational numbers to include numbers that are irrational. Activities in these areas will include:
- Understanding that every rational number (such as ½, 0.3, 2, or -2) can be written as a decimal, but that the decimal form of an irrational number (such as 2 ) is both non-repeating and infinite
- Applying the properties of exponents to generate equivalent numerical expressions
- Determining the value of square roots of small perfect squares (such as 49= 7) and cube roots of small perfect cubes (such as 3 64=4)
- Graphing proportional relationships and interpreting the unit rate as the slope (how steep or flat a line is)
- Solving and graphing one- and two-variable linear equations
- Understanding that a function is a rule that assigns to each value of x exactly one value of y, such as y=2x, a rule that would yield such ordered pairs as (-2,-4), (3,6), and (4,8)
- Comparing the properties of two functions represented in different ways (in a table, graph, equation, or description)
- Determining congruence (when shapes are of equal size and shape) and similarity (same shape but different sizes)
- Learning and applying the Pythagorean Theorem (an equation relating the lengths of the sides of a right triangle: a2 + b2 = c2 )
- Solving problems involving the volume of cylinders, cones, and spheres
In response to the State of Illinois’ adoption of the Common Core State Standards (CCSS) for student learning, District 103 (in collaboration with Area 125 Consortium School Districts 76, 79, 96, 102, 103 and 125) has aligned its mathematics curricula to the CCSS.
- Algebra: This course incorporates all of the 8th grade Common Core Math Standards.
- Algebra I: This accelerated course covers all of the High School Algebra 1 Common Core Standards.
- Algebra II: This honors course covers all of the High School Algebra II Common Core Standards. This class is extremely fast-paced and requires academic maturity, dedication, and independence.
The Grade Eight math curriculum will incorporate the Standards for Mathematical Practice that will support the Common Core State Standards.
This overview for Mathematics, provided by the Council of the Great City Schools, reflects how The Common Core State Standards have guided our development of a rich and comprehensive curriculum for our students.