- Be age 21 or older.
- Possess a valid and properly classified Illinois driver's license or a valid license issued by Indiana, Michigan, Wisconsin, Iowa, Missouri or Kentucky. The valid license must contain an "S" endorsement.
- Possess a valid driver's license for three years immediately prior to the date of your application, which has not been revoked, suspended, cancelled or disqualified.
- Pass an Illinois written school bus driver permit test (valid for one year).
- Pass a behind-the-wheel exam (valid for 90 days) in the type of vehicle you will be driving.
- Pass a physical examination (valid for 90 days), including drug and tuberculosis testing.
- Affirm under penalty of perjury that you have not made a false statement or knowingly concealed a material fact in any application for a permit.
- Complete an initial classroom training course (valid for one year) administered by the Illinois State Board of Education. A refresher course must be taken prior to renewal.
- Not have been under an order of court supervision or convicted of two or more serious traffic violations in the 12-month period prior to the date of your application.
- Not have been under an order of court supervision or convicted of reckless driving, DUI or reckless homicide resulting while operating a motor vehicle within three years of the date of your application.
- Pass an Illinois specific and FBI criminal background check. Fingerprint results are valid for one year.
- Consent in writing to the release of results of reasonable suspicion drug and alcohol testing by the employer of the applicant to the Secretary of State.
- Not have caused a fatal accident as the result of the unlawful operation of a motor vehicle.
- Not have been afflicted with or suffering from any mental disability or disease within the last five years.
If you are new to Illinois, you must also provide a state-issued copy of the previous state's driving abstract, showing a three-year continuous driving history. The driving abstract must be issued in the 90-day period prior to your application for a permit.
Persons residing in a bordering state who wish to apply for an Illinois school bus driver permit must possess a properly classified license from Indiana, Michigan, Wisconsin, Iowa, Missouri, or Kentucky and follow the procedures outlined for new applicants.
Please apply for a position on the D103 employment website page.