Purpose of the Activity
Science Bowl is a competitive academic club for students who excel and enjoy science. Students compete in a "Jeopardy Style" format answering math and science questions. Science Bowl has both a varsity and junior varsity team. Science Bowl Car Team designs and builds a model car to race against other schools within our region.
The Academic Team is comprised of students who take a multiple choice test and demonstrate academic proficiency in science and math. How quick a student responds and answers a question will also be measured.
The tryout date will be announced on the DW Daily Announcements and take place in mid-September. Visit the U.S. Department of Energy website for helpful resources and sample questions. Please contact the coaches if you have additional questions. The topics include, Earth Space, Biology, Physical Science, Energy and Math. You are encouraged to study entry level high school science textbooks on these subjects to develop a level of confidence for the difficulty of the tryout and competition questions.
The Car Team tryouts will take place mid-December. Daily Announcements will be made for the specific date. Students will be asked to build a basic model of an object that can be put into motion and follow up with a design document for the tryout.
Make sure you have a permission to participate form on file with the club sponsor or coach otherwise you will not be able to particpate.
Number of Participants
- Between 8-10 students are selected for the Academic Team.
- Between 4 to 6 students are chosen for the Car Team.
Grade Level/s of Participants
The team is open to sixth-, seventh- and eighth-graders.
Meeting Schedule and Location
Season: October through May
- The Academic Team meets October through January
- The Car Team meets January through March
- Day of Week: To Be Determined
- 3:45 p.m.
- Note: Science Bowl requires a substantial amount of time above and beyond a weekly/biweekly schedule to study or design/build a car at home. Students will be expected to work outside of school in small teams to practice.
- Science Rooms at DW
- Academic Team: Argonne Regional - late January
- Academic Team: Nationals Competition (if qualifying) - late April/early May, Washington, D.C.
- Science Bowl Car race takes place in mid-March
Time: TBD. We need to wait on the staff at Argonne National Labs for dates and times.
Student Attendance Guidelines
Although we try to be flexible, team members are expected to be at the majority of practices and events.
Fundraising Plan if Applicable (Board policy 7:325)
- Tony Hafner, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Maggie Patel, email@example.com