Free to Be
Purpose of the Activity
Are you interested in being an ally? Do you like being a leader? Do you have ideas of how to be supportive of all students at DW? If yes, then come join us at Free to Be, the Gay Straight Alliance of DW. Free to Be (GSA) at Daniel Wright Junior High School is a support and social group that provides safety within our school. Free to Be is for LGBTQAI+ and straight allies to promote respect and inclusion within our school community. Our mission is to create a more united and accepting environment for all people, regardless of orientation or gender identity, through education, support, social action, advocacy, and leadership.
There are no tryouts or forms required for this club.
Number of Participants
The club is open to all LGBTQAI+ and straight allies.
Grade Level/s of Participants
Open to sixth-, seventh- and eighth-graders.
Meeting Schedule and Location
- Season: Year-round
- Meeting Day: Every other Monday
- Time: 3:45 p.m.
- Location: Room 218
Student Attendance Guidelines
Specific Rules or Guidelines
People attending Free to Be meetings are to adhere to the following ground rules and group norms:
- Be kind
- No assumptions/judgement should be made
- Provide a safe, supportive environment
- Participation during meetings is encouraged, but not required of its members
- What is said here during meetings, should stay here in meetings
- No one is to be outed
- Let the person tell his/her/their story
- Ask to ask "If you don't mind me asking..." or "Can I ask you a personal question?"