Homeless Child's Right to Education

  • When a child loses permanent housing and becomes homeless as defined by law, or when a homeless child changes their temporary living arrangements, the guardian of the homeless child has the option of:

    • Continuing the child’s education in the school of origin for as long as the child remains homeless or, if the child becomes permanently housed, until the end of the academic year during which the housing is acquired.
    • Enrolling the child in any school that non-homeless students who live in the attendance area in which the child or youth is actually living are eligible to attend.

    Assistance and support for homeless families includes: educational organizations and schools, food bank and meal programs, local service organizations (Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc.), family shelters, medical services, and other support as needed. Contact the school social worker or the homeless liaison, Gina Finaldi, for further information.