Competencies for D103 Graduates
The mission of District 103 is “to provide innovative learning experiences, which empower each student to excel and make a difference in a diverse and interconnected world.” We want our students to be Leaders in Learning and successful citizens in our communities.
To realize this mission, the District Strategic Planning Committee created a Portrait of a Graduate. The Portrait is a collective vision for our students that focuses on key qualities or “competencies” every child should have when they graduate from District 103.
The following six competencies were identified to enable our students to thrive in our complex and changing world.
- Understand the "bigger picture" and propose creative solutions that are mindful of the impact they may have.
- Consistently improve the quality of one's own thinking by skillfully analyzing, assessing, and reconstructing one's understanding
- Applies disciplined thinking and implements evidence-based solutions.
- Demonstrates awareness, sensitivity, concern, and respect for others' feelings, opinions, experiences, culture, and differences through connection, understanding, and compassion.
- Seek to understand what others are thinking, feeling, or experiencing by actively listening and engaging in a genuine way.
- Value and embrace diverse cultures & perspectives through mutual respect and open dialogue.
- Demonstrate personal, civic, and global responsibility through ethical and empathetic behaviors.
- Contribute and model action that will inspire others to help shape a better world.
- Use communication for a range of purposes (for example, to inform, instruct, motivate, and persuade).