District 103 provides students in Grade Two with a comprehensive Physical Education and Health curriculum. This curriculum reflects developmentally appropriate expectations for students in the areas of physical activity, movement, health-related fitness, sportsmanship and group cooperation in team and group activities. In addition to Physical Education classes, recess is offered to students on a daily basis.
Instruction in building habits for a healthy lifestyle is included in the Physical Education classes and the health classes. These habits for a healthy life style focus on taking care of your body, both physically and emotionally, and on making safe choices in a variety of situations.
The Grade Two Physical Education curriculum is based on the following goals:
- Apply basic movement patterns in different settings.
- Identify characteristics of health-related and skill-related fitness
- Participate daily in moderate to vigorous physical activity
- Develop and apply problem solving and cooperative skills in small and large group activities
- Recognize how choices can affect health
- Identify a realistic health-related goal.