District 103 provides students in Grade One with a comprehensive Physical Education and Health curriculum. This curriculum reflects developmentally appropriate expectations for students in the areas of physical activity, movement, health-related fitness, sportsmanship and group cooperation in team and group activities. In addition to Physical Education classes, recess is offered to students on a daily basis.
Instruction in building habits for a healthy lifestyle is included in the Physical Education classes and the health classes. These habits for a healthy life style focus on taking care of your body, both physically and emotionally, and on making safe choices in a variety of situations.
Grade One Physical Education curriculum is based on the following goals:
- Perform and refine locomotor, non-locomotor and manipulative skills
- Understand spatial awareness and relationships to objects and people
- Describe immediate effects of physical activity on the body
- Participate daily in moderate to vigorous physical activity
- Differentiate between positive and negative behaviors in a physical activity
- Work independently and in small groups on tasks for short periods of time