District 103 provides students in Kindergarten with a comprehensive Physical Education and Health curriculum. This curriculum reflects developmentally appropriate expectations for students in the areas of physical activity, movement, health-related fitness, sportsmanship and group cooperation in team and group activities. In addition to Physical Education classes, recess is offered to students on a daily basis.
Instruction in building habits for a healthy lifestyle is included in the Physical Education classes and the health classes. These habits for a healthy life style focus on taking care of your body, both physically and emotionally, and on making safe choices in a variety of situations.
The Kindergarten Physical Education curriculum is based on the following goals:
- Develop fundamental locomotor, non-locomotor and manipulative skills
- Understand basic movement patterns and motor concepts
- Participate daily in moderate to vigorous physical activity
- Follow rules and procedures while working independently or with others
- Use positive communication skills
- Recognize the importance of positive health choices