District 103’s Strategic Plan, Vision 2020, includes this goal with the following steps identified:
- Actively engage students in building positive school environments.
- Increase opportunities to involve students, parents, and staff in decisions regarding the students' school experiences.
- Create opportunities for students, families and staff to build understanding and appreciation between cultures.
- Strengthen partnerships within the school community to yield teamwork and collaboration.
Our work on these objectives encompasses a large number of ongoing activities in our schools and at the district level.
For example, in February 2017, a Superintendent's Advisory Council for Equitable Education (SACEE) was formed in order to build understanding and appreciation between cultures across our community. SACEE brings together parents and staff members that represent our diverse backgrounds, cultures, and heritage in District 103. SACEE meets quarterly to discuss and advance the following goals:
- Provide opportunities for open communication between parents, teachers, and administrators
- Increase awareness of culturally responsive teaching
- Increase diversity exposure for students, haveing the broad knowledge of cultures beyond a single story
- Continue to recognize and celebrate our similarities and differences
- Identify and support systems that provide mentorship of students and families
Progress on the strategic goal to improve stakeholder satisfaction is reported through the Illinois 5Essentials Survey. Students, teachers, and parents provide feedback on school climate and learning conditions through this annual survey. District 103 schools have been part of this statewide survey since the inaugural year of 2012-2013, and have participated again in 2017. The participation of our schools meets the requirements of State legislation (105 ILCS 5/2-3.153) and the Illinois State Board of Education's mandates.
The 5Essentials Survey provides an opportunity for teachers, students (grades 6-12) and parents to provide input on their schools in five "essential" areas, identified as critical for school success:
- Effective Leaders
- Collaborative Teachers
- Involved Families
- Supportive Environment
- Ambitious Instruction