- Lincolnshire–Prairie View School District 103
- Culture & Climate
Create guidelines for class size that consider developmental needs of students.
District 103’s Strategic Plan, Vision 2020, outlines the need to review class sizes for Early Childhood through grade 8 to determine best practices and establish class size ranges. Specifically, the goals state:
- Research best practices for class sizes for Early Childhood through 8th grade.
- Establish ranges for class sizes that consider physical space and effective teaching strategies.
One of the most discussed and researched topics in education is the impact of class size on student achievement. A concise review of some of the most comprehensive analyses regarding class size and student achievement is provided in the Class Size Review report published on Oct. 6, 2015.
District 103 prides itself on providing a very high level of education for all its students.
- Maintaining manageable class sizes for our students and teachers is an important component to ensuring this standard of education remains.
- Guidelines of class sizes in the 20’s, with flexibility depending on the needs of the classroom, provide for appropriate levels of support for students and teachers to continue the excellent education our community expects and our students deserve.
As a guideline, the District will use the following numbers to "trigger" a review of when to add a section to a specific class or grade level:
- Grades K - 2: 25 students
- Grades 3 - 5: 28 students
- Grades 6 - 8: 30 students
The decision whether or not to reduce/expand class sizes will be made on a case-by-case basis depending on the combination of factors listed in the Class Size Review study published on Oct. 6, 2015.